In April 2021, Healthwatch Barnet attended a forum with the Jewish Deaf Association (for people of all faiths and none) to discuss Barnet residents’ health and social care priorities and issues. The Barnet residents discussed the issues they have been having with GP surgeries, and, as a result of our discussions, we conducted a focus group with deaf residents to gather in-depth qualitative data on their experiences with GP surgeries. Their feedback has been broken down into 5 themes.
- Lack of provision for qualified interpreters and over-reliance on family/friends
- GP staff not trained on being deaf aware
- The impact upon deaf patients’ mental wellbeing
- Accessibility in the use of written language
- Difficulty with physical accessibility to GP surgeries