Knowing how to make a complaint

Making a complaint can be a daunting task, so knowing who you can complain to and what to do is essential. 

We can help you. We've worked with Healthwatch England to produce straightforward advice will guide you through the process from knowing who to talk to, top tips on what to do and what you can expect from services in response. 

Read our complaints advice

Talk to us

You can also contact us to find out how to get help with making your complaint.

Contact us

Tips and tools for making a complaint

VoiceAbility NHS complaints advocacy

Do you have a health or social care issue you need help with? Do you need support complaining about an NHS service?

VoiceAbility supports people to have their voice heard and their rights respected. We can also help you make a complaint about treatment or care that that you, a family member, or someone you care for has received from an NHS service. The support is free, independent and confidential.

VoiceAbility can:

  • explain what rights you have
  • find out information for you
  • help you make important decisions
  • help you understand the NHS complaints process

To find out which services you can access, please visit, email or call 0300 303 1660.

Contact VoiceAbility

Patient Advice Liaison Service

Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) offers confidential advice, support and information on health matters. It provides a point of contact for patients, families and carers.

PALS do not investigate individual complaints but can give you general advice about the NHS complaints procedure.

PALS can provide:

  • Help with health related questions
  • Help to resolve concerns or problems with NHS services
  • Help to ensure you are more involved in your own care
  • Information about the NHS and their complaints procedure
  • Infomation on support groups outside the NHS

Contact PALS